2013 ARTREACH YOUTH ARTS PITCH CONTEST SUBMISSION
Call For Submissions
ArtReach Toronto and City of Toronto Cultural Services, in partnership with the Art Gallery of Ontario and the Grassroots Youth Collaborative invite you to participate in our 2013 Pitch Contest. If you are a young artist or a group of artists, between the ages of 18 and 29, we want to hear from you!
We want to support some of Toronto’s finest innovative talent and encourage community participation through the arts.
The arts are a powerful and motivating way that youth are involved in their communities. Whether it’s in someone’s basement, or through a community program – young people are creating art all over this city. ArtReach Toronto, City of Toronto Cultural Services, the Art Gallery of Ontario and the Grassroots Youth Collaborative want to support youth aspirations in the arts. We invite you to submit your ideas to us, which could land you a spot in front of an esteemed panel of judges for a live and interactive pitch contest!
- • You must be an artist or part of a group of artists
- • You must be between the ages of 18 and 29
- • Developing an artistic project or are serious about your arts initiative
Please note: Selections for finalists in the Pitch Contest will prioritize the needs of youth and communities that are excluded from mainstream arts opportunities. We ask applicants to self identify their eligibility understanding that this event is intended for communities, artists and arts practices with few alternative venues for support.
ArtReach Toronto encourages artists working in a broad range of art forms to apply, including dance, drama, music, carnival and circus, film and video, TV and radio, new media, fashion, creative writing, visual arts, crafts, hip hop, design, multi-media, urban arts and more.
Eight lucky submissions will be chosen to pitch their ideas live on Thursday September 12, 2013 for a chance to win one of two $5,000 prizes awarded to participants the following contest categories:
- 1. Community Arts Projects & Productions: “Investing in your community through the arts”
This category is for individuals and groups whose creative work meets a need or addresses an issue in their community and who invest their profits back into their work. Projects could include:
- • Creation and/or presentation of creative works that address an important issue
- • Creative projects or programs that meet an important need (ie: workshops, classes, support programs, etc…)
- • Capital investments that enable you to do your community arts work more effectively (ie: equipment, tools, space, etc…)
- • Professional or artistic capacity development that will improve the impact of your community arts work (ie: strategic planning, administrative support, artistic skill development, etc.)
Some example projects include:
- • Production of a film about gender equity in your community
- • A mural artist working with differently abled youth
- • A dance crew that creates safe space for dancers in the LGBT spectrum community
- • A mentorship program for young artists facing barriers to arts education
- • A workshop series requiring video equipment to better support participants
TO APPLY FOR COMMUNITY ARTS PROJECTS & PRODUCTIONS CLICK HERE
Applicants must show how a $5000.00 investment in their project will help them to meet a need or address an issue in their community.
- 2. Creative Business & Career Development: “Investing in your arts business/career”
This category is for individuals and groups whose goal is to develop or invest in their business and/or career in the arts/creative sector. This includes:
- • Creation and/or presentation of creative works to advance your arts business or career
- • Capital investments that will enable you to enhance your business or further your career (ie: equipment, tools, space, etc…)
- • Professional or artistic capacity development that will help you to advance your business or further your career more sustainably (ie: business planning, administrative support, artistic skill development, etc.)
Some example projects could include:
- • A fashion design group looking to expand production to increase sales
- • An independent artist developing their portfolio with new works
- • A photographer upgrading their equipment to save on renting equipment
- • A creative entrepreneur looking for support to develop a business plan
TO APPLY FOR CREATIVE BUSINESS & CAREER DEVELOPMENT CLICK HERE
Applicants must show how a $5000.00 investment in their project will positively impact the development of their business or career.
- • Complete the online form by the deadline of Tuesday, August 13th, 2013.
- • The eight lucky finalists chosen to make their pitch will be announced on August 23rd, 2013! ALL finalists are required to attend a two-part workshop series on How To Make a Pitch. These sessions will be held on Aug. 27th, and September 4th, 2013.
- • Finalists will then pitch their ideas LIVE on Thursday September 12, 2013 making a creative, energetic, inspiring and convincing pitch in 5 minutes or less!
- • A panel of knowledgeable, high profile judges will provide on the spot feedback to all finalists and award two winners with the grand prizes of the PITCH CONTEST!
Deadline for Entries: Tuesday August 13, 2013
If you have any questions, please feel to email us at email@example.com or call Kate at 647.498.8525.